Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Is going the SAP way the best option?

Q. I currently work as an administration manager with a business process outsourcer. I have eight-plus years of experience in general administration and facilities.

My qualifications are B.Sc (PCM), Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Applications (PGDCA) and an MBA.

I plan to change my career to IT as I am not happy with my current career growth. I have heard that SAP is a good option.

With my admin profile as it is, people have suggested different options to me, like human resources (HR), sales and distribution (SD) or materials management (MM).

Others suggested that I cannot do SAP as my profile does not suit any of the available modules.

Therefore, I am little confused and unable to make a final decision. As the money and time involved will be huge, I want to make the right decision.

SAP is one option, but I request you to suggest other options too. Also, please suggest some short courses.

I am also fine with settling outside India.

I am desperate to come out of admin.


Career advice from K Srini, human resources head-strategy of global consulting and IT services provider

Every career change is always a painful process-–and there is never any guarantee of success in such an endeavor.

What you should be mindful of is that you have enough finances to tide you through the entire phase--in this case for the costs of education and thereafter job hunting--assuming you continue to serve in your current organization.

But the tougher part is managing the emotional turmoil which you are going through now until you achieve and succeed in you goal.

I urge you to be pragmatic-–the distaste of the current work you do is more palatable than being out of a job. So no knee jerk reactions, unless of course you have a huge inheritance!

As for where to go from here, you could become a functional consultant in SAP(HR)--a certified training module should not be too much of a trouble for you given your experience and educational background.

If SAP positions are available within your current organization, I urge you to go for it-–you would be better off with the experience before re-entering the "real world", plus you have the chance to get educated on company money.

Alternatively, you could transition into a complete HR professional-–starting off with a role in the HR team-–with C&B (compensation and benefit), recruitment, et cetera-–possibly branching of into training if the area excites you.

You could always revert back to the SAP track, given your rounded experience in HR and admin.

Another interesting field is in the area of facility management. With international accreditation, multinational corporations like CB Richard Ellis, JLL, et cetera, are top recruiters for such people. You could research about this.

I suggest you also read the book What Color is Your Parachute by Richard Bolles, for a little soul searching on what you want to do in life.

More links:

Source: ZDNetasia

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Qualification doesnt matters
just you need to chose your way.. which module you wanted to do..

I am an Engineering Graduate of Electronics & communication but iam working on SAP MM (Material Management)

Dont lose heart..

Regards
http://sapmmhelp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I've 4 years of programming experience in Java. I'm planning to move to SAP. Which is the module i can go for? Could you guide me ?

Anonymous said...

Hi RAJ,
I'm Joseph, Since I was in college I had set in mind that either I'd be an Accountant and a professor If ever I'd pass the board after grad in 2002, unfortunately I didn't had that much resources then to commit fully on a review. So I ended up being an internal audit and accounting staff right after graduation, again sad to say I did not last for I could not take the real nature of my job then, that was to manipulate FS for Tax purposes and presentations to non management stockholders. It was 2 different companies but I had the same experience and by then I was disgusted and had to stop working.

After which I ventured on a small scale I-cafe from 2004-2006. At the start it was fulfilling but later decided to stop since a lot of illegal shops were established outside our subdivisions business area.

From then I decided looking for another job, though I had in mind before for a job as an analyst, I wasn't really sure then where to find one and how to start as one either. I also tried applying on call centers but I decided to stop too after not getting a job after about 5-6 tries, also I was dishearted then, during the last time because, I had been attending this Job Interview quite a few times already and even the insiders I knew were sure that I am already hired and that the final interview was just for formality then, but It came out the other way, that was the time I really realized that maybe my voice (Big manly) isn't really suitable for call centers (haha).

Lately I had been persistent again to search for a job that I believe I really wanted and that I know I can contribute with my skills(rusty skills) so I came up again searching for Analyst jobs offering trainee opportunities.

And I was truly surprised that It's SAP which I actually meant to search all this time. All that I just discovered just coming across this blog.

I know that I had been rusty for quite too long but I hope I can join a firm like this which offers trainee entry level for SAP. I really wanted to redeem myself to get into a career especially one that I know I can learn from and excel with.

And I really thank coming across your blog, actually it was about almost 2 weeks ago, It just gave me hope that somehow I could still give and exercise the use of my potentials that my former mentors and classmates was saying that I wasted.

here are some infos about me:
BS Accountancy grad 2002
from Univ of Perpetual Help Rizal.
I belonged to the top 1-3 of my Major Subjects class and about the same for the whole graduating class in the said course.

I spent almost 30% of 3rd and fourth year college years serving and fulfilling my duties as VP and Later President of NCR Jr Phil. Institute of Accountancy.

Regarding My major Classes I particularly excel more before on Managerial and Cost accounting yet I was also keen on auditing.

I do not have any formal computer educational background but I can learn easily or more conservatively say that I can adapt since my daily life is infront of my PC even at home. I used to be a hardcore gamer to before but just diverted on self studying few GNU and sometimes pirated softwares ranging from designs to productivity applications.

Well I hope that You were able to skim through this novel and somehow helpand give me advice on how to be part of your team or a SAP/consulting firm.

Thank you very much and God Bless!

Joseph
joletsac@yahoo.com

GVT said...

Hi John,

If you know Java, you can learn ABAP, it will be easy for you, and you will learn different modules on this including FI, MM, SD..